Sunday, July 8, 2018

Mother Earth

So here is the first quilt in this series.  Actually until I finished this one I didn't know that it was going to be a series - but I kept having thoughts about different colors and things growing from her head and I just couldn't stop myself.

But back to Mother Earth.  You will notice a couple of changes from the original little sketch that inspired this quilt.  First of all she has two eyes - not just one.  I really struggled with this.  But she looked like she needed two eyes so - boom - there they are.  I am glad that I added the second one.

And she has lips - which were needed to complete her personality.  And of course those are branches growing out of her head. 

Another bit to notice is that there is no neck on this creature.  I feel like she isn't so much a "person" as a creature or energy field erupting from a rocky crag of the planet.  I have no idea if anyone else will think that - but that is OK.

Once I finished the fabric portions of the basic design, I could tell that she (do you notice how this is a "she"???) really needed some sparkle.  So beads were added.  Here are some close ups....

No comments:

Post a Comment