Sunday, September 30, 2018

Fall

The latest in the EarthWise series.  Scroll down to find Mother Earth, Spring and Summer.

I hate to play favorites .... but this IS my favorite in this series.  I especially like the details of the eyes.  The design is not what I thought it would be when I started.

It was pretty obvious that if I made a quilt called Fall that it would include falling leaves.  Uh huh.  But in my head, there were four times as many leaves falling in the background.  And I really had no idea how to add interest to the head.

Funny how quilts just "tell you" what they want to be sometimes.  And I have learned that if I simply pay attention and do what the quilt wants to do - it works better than trying to force it into submitting to my original design idea.

Anyway I absolutely DO like the final quilt.  The Scan 'n Cut was essential to the success of this quilt because I could not have cut the leaf shapes without it.  I was rather challenged when it came time to figure out the quilting lines.  Go around the sharp angles of each leaf?  Nope.  Find a way to imply the motion of falling leaves?  Yes.  And the tiny beads and light colored thread really helps that motion become visible.

So Winter is next.  I am still unsure of the colors.... sparkly white? Or silver? Or blue?  We'll see........

No comments:

Post a Comment