Saturday, June 13, 2015

Accidents Happen

Accidents Happen 16"x19"  Not for Sale
In June of 2011 the most wonderful thing happened to me.  I took a class that changed the way I made portrait quilts.  The teacher was Esterita Austin and she is an amazing teacher.  She has developed a technique for using fabric to make portraits (or other pictures) by focusing on light and dark areas of a single piece of fabric, putting them together, and then adding paint to really add detail and dimension.

I loved loved loved the class!  This is what I had been waiting for.  This particular quilt is made using the pattern that Esterita provided for the class.  It was amazing how different each quilt in the class looked because the fabrics were different and each quilter/artist's approach was unique.

This technique is the one that I use today for all of my "serious" portrait quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment