Thursday, May 17, 2018

And Now for Something Completely Different

This lady is not quilted yet.  She is a Wild and Crazy Experiment.  The only fabric is the background black fabric.  Her face and body and hair are completely made of paper napkins.

You may ask WHY would anyone to such a thing.  Well, I saw something on Joggles.com about using art paper napkins as collage material.  You split the napkin into three layers and just use the top layer and matte medium to attach it to paper.  It looked interesting and I wondered if I could apply the same concept to napkins and use them with fusible web instead of matte medium.

I just happened to have four patterns of paper napkins that I purchased (from Joggles) 4 or 5 years ago.  This is a photo of those napkins.
Since they have a variety of light and dark patterns I figured I would just give it a try.  After all what did I have to lose?  They were just paper napkins.

Well it was really hard.  First of all you have to be careful to not apply TOO much heat with the iron or you will singe the napkin.  And adding paint to accent the shadows and highlights is not reasonable with napkins like it is with fabric.

But - I like her so far.  There is still work to be done.  For instance how can I add shadows under her chin to make her neck recede visually?  And should I use black thread to add stitching accents TO her face or will that risk degrading the napkins with the needle holes.  I do need to sew along the outside border of her face..... but not real sure after that.

Stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment