Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Where Do Those Ideas Come From???

The last two quilts that I posted were inspired by little critters that I drew based on a coloring book called Ernst Haeckel, Art Forms in Nature.  The company that sells it is Pomegranate.  The drawings in the book are "exquisitely rendered depictions of flora and fauna" made between 1899 and 1904.
Isn't that awesome?


Here are a couple of photos of pages from the book.

Every one of the drawings are beautiful and there are hundreds of them.  I have no interest in coloring any of them.

BUT I could see the possibility of using the SHAPES and putting them together to make little critters.  And it worked.  I ended up with little guys and gals in shapes that I NEVER would have thought of myself.





So how would a person go about turning these beautiful drawings into little critters?   Here is an example of the original shapes from the book and the critter those two shapes inspired.








And here are some of the other little critters who were created.  I had SO MUCH fun not only drawing them, but then using watercolors to paint them.  I am exploring the idea of making a story book using them as the characters.




The two little guys in the middle are based on the exact same shape.  But they have very different personalities.  Maybe they are brothers.....

 Now go back (or forward?) to the other post and see if you can see which drawings became a quilt.  You didn't know I would give you work did you???

1 comment:

  1. The lil fella on the car right is my favorite. I just love his attitude!!!

    ReplyDelete