Monday, January 25, 2021

 So where do your strange ideas for quilts come from?

That is a pretty common question. 
And this is a good example.  Many ideas just come floating thru my imagination but sometimes the idea already exists in one of my art journals.  And sometimes , like this time, they sit quietly waiting in my art journal until it is time for them to come out and play.


This one surprised me and turned into the perfect inspiration to break an Art-Free block of time that I was experiencing in December.  

I was flipping through an old unfinished journal and this sweet image made me stop and immediately decide to make a quilt.  And the next journal page had the sentiment that it required which turned into the name of the quilt.  "And she remembered that it was not her job to make everyone happy."

So here is the quilt....














It is larger than many of my quilts - 20 x 23.  And the colors are gorgeous in person.  You can see how the journal piece inspired the sweet little critter in the center.  It was great fun finding the right colors for her wings.  

The pieces that form the border were a real challenge.  Again I was using the journal as a design inspiration.  There are 52 pieces of fabric in the border and only two of them are the same fabric.  But I love the way that she is framed by the border.  It felt like a safe place for her spirit to float and be free.

AND, adding the border to this quilt, something I had never done before, is part of what sent me wildly into creating the collage pieces for the Marketplace.  Inspiration has a way of leading to new places if you just have the confidence to FOLLOW.......

No comments:

Post a Comment