Thursday, February 11, 2021

 Unanticipated Changes in Design

 


Well this is really a surprise.  It is interesting how certain projects take on their own personality and insist on going in new directions that the artist never anticipated.  Like this gentleman.  

I really did like him with no hair at all - and just on the smaller black background.  But then the energy around the project changed and he just "needed" hair.  And then the hair "needed" to go beyond the edge of the black fabric.  So the question became - should I make the black background larger or.... GO BOLD and add a border of bright gold fabric to allow the hair to escape and become an important part of the design.

I decided to be bold.  And I really really like the way the gold border adds energy  to the design and also enhances the golden colors of the face fabric.  Like it was meant to be!

Here is the funny part.  I am not a traditional quilter and I do not think in numbers - like inches and such.  So I needed to stretch my brain with determination to figure out how to straighten the edges of the black fabric that he was already fused onto and measure and seam the border accurately.  My goodness.  It makes me admire the ability of traditional quilters to think in that fashion.  And makes me glad that I can usually just be wild and crazy and not worry about numbers.  Ha!

The next stage is to start sewing all the edges of all the pieces down so they are secure.  This also adds a lot of structure and definition to the design.  I'll post before and after pics so you can see and compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment