Tuesday, February 9, 2021

 Switching Gears to a Large NEW Project

The new project is a somewhat realistic portrait quilt.  A few weeks ago I started an online class focused on creating acrylic paintings of faces and figures.  The first several lessons were all about creating scribbly backgrounds and "finding" a face to paint over the background.  And the goal was to try to paint a face with emotional energy - and not necessarily a pretty face.

So my small paintings sat on my design wall for weeks and this one kept reaching out to me - to be made into a quilt.  He is the one at the top of the photo.

Sooooo - I listened and am attempting to make a quilt of this guy.  When I make quilts of faces I always work from photos so this is very different for me.  More difficult.

So this is how the process unfolds..... if you look closely you can see the tracing paper of the painting to the left, then the enlarged (with Rapid Resizer) copy of the tracing to the right, then the enlarged drawing traced onto black fabric using Transdoodle.  The face is about 14" x 22".


No comments:

Post a Comment