Friday, December 28, 2018

Collage Faces - A Different Approach




The previous post shows where how this latest little adventure started - a blank page and then some scraps of an Italian grammar book pasted down.  Here is a small copy of that almost blank page so you can compare it to the finished product and see how the shapes influenced the designs.

The direction the scraps of paper pointed me is especially evident in the lady with the hat.  Who would have thought of a hat? 

So this project was really fun and I enjoyed the various layers.  I painted over the pages with gesso to make the printing less evident.  Then painted the faces and surrounding area with Inktense Blocks.  Then drew in their facial features.  Then went "Yuck.  Boring".

I had not added any of the clothes at this point so I got out a box of old scraps of deli paper that I had gel printed years ago.  Can you tell that I keep everything?  I was really glad that I had these papers because they are so thin that they are easy to tear and glue down.

Once the clothes were in place I decided to keep going because I was having so much fun.   Here are some larger photos so you can see the details.



I added papers to the hat to add depth and interest, the hat lady's hair, the red hair, and the purple hair.
So there I was with this little foldy thing with faces on one side.  And nothing on the other.  What to do?  I didn't want to make four more faces but I didn't want it to be blank either.  Hmmm.  I had really enjoyed playing with the deli paper and I wanted to have some reference to faces to make it seem related to the other side...... and this is what happened.  The faces are sort of ghostly and floating but I like them.  So - project finished.  I wonder what will pop into my head next?


No comments:

Post a Comment