Thursday, December 27, 2018

Collage Faces - In a Different Way

This is my second try at a series of collage or drawn faces.  Once again I started with an 11" x 15" sheet of watercolor paper and folded it and tore it in half lengthwise.  Then folded those pieces too.

The top photo shows how WHITE it looked.  Once again even to my brave eyes it looked a bit overwhelming.  So I tried a technique that I learned years ago - tear some pieces of magazine or book pages into random shapes and just glue them down.  No particular pattern. 

These pages are from an Italian grammar book.  I haunt the library free book events to get weird old books that I don't feel guilty tearing into.

The next step is to put a layer of gesso over the entire sheet.  This softens the paper shapes so they provide a vague guide but are not terribly specific.  And the gesso makes the surface toothy so it can easily be drawn and painted.  Who knows? This may or may not work - but it will be fun to try.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, I found a wonderful article about you and your fun quilting projects in the winter 2019 issue of The New Pioneer Magazine. How delightful and pretty your work is! I am not an experienced quilter, but I do love to do small quilting projects from time to time. However, my passion is hand embroidery. I loved visiting your blog here as well. I will stop back by now and then to see what you will be creating next! Wishing you a blessed new year!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen - I was so honored to have my work in a magazine. I enjoy quilting and especially like sharing my work. Knowing that people look at my blog makes me happy and will keep me posting new adventures. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. The article captured your creativity and I have been following your work for years, but every new direction you go gives amazing new surprises!

    ReplyDelete