Saturday, December 21, 2019

Abstracts with Emma Pettit


A completely different class.  The Raw of Silence with Emma Pettit on Jeanne Oliver's site.

Let me start by saying that Jeanne Oliver has the greatest collection of on-line art courses imaginable.  I have taken several and am always impressed by the quality of her teachers.  Check  it out!

So this class was a real stretch for me.  It is about painting abstract portraits.  I am NOT an abstract artist.  I don't even think in abstract ways.  I am super concrete and detailed. Wow oh Wow was this different.

But I learned HUGE amounts.  Like trusting the process.  Believing on my very own self.  Allowing creations to go thru many stages.

The first class used a large 18x24 watercolor sheet divided by tape strips.  You paint with wild abandon all over all of the sheets.  And make marks.  It felt crazy.  It is the opposite of everything that I do with fabric!

What you end up with is a cohesive group of backgrounds to paint over.  Yup.  After all that work to paint these designs that you like - you are going to cover them up.  Oh my.










 There is a photo of a lovely young lady to work from.  But you are not supposed to try to make it look like a photo of her - but instead you try to make it an abstract representation based on her photo.

This is my attempt.  Wait till you see what happens next!















On the second square you sort of let go of the initial image and just stretch to be more abstract.  The goal is to open up and capture general shapes and shadows.

So the pretty lady does not look like a lady at all.

Can you see bits of the original background painting showing around the face?  I like that part of using acrylics.












And here are the other two drawings from this set.  The one on the left is my effort to get very abstract and let go of a realistic representation and sort of go with the flow.

I actually sort of like this individual.  I wouldn't want to bump into him in a dark alley...... but he is interesting.

The one of the right was even more abstract - losing definition in the eyes.  My least favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment