Friday, December 20, 2019

Next Abstract Challenge


Continuing with the abstract class......

This is a large painting - about 20x24".  HUGE for me.  It started with a very complex background painting.  Look at the swimsuit and you will see what the background painting looked like.  It covered the entire page.

So here is the trick that I learned.  You do the background and then you look at a photo of a person and then you draw a very simple sketchy outline - abstracted of course (in this case shifting the angles and size of the shoulders and hips) and THEN you start to paint around the outlined shape.

And, as you start to paint, the figure sort of pops out of the background.  Then of course I had to add paint to differentiate between the swimsuit and the skin.

It is really fun and almost magical the way it works out.  I want to try it again. You can see the background showing thru at the edges of the painting and the finished painting looks so much more complex than it would have if I had just painted plain paint colors.

How can I apply this to my quilting?  Do I even NEED to or WANT to?  I'm not sure.  Maybe this is another thing that I will do in  addition to quilting.  Maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment