Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Wild Backgrounds Add Depth

Next abstract class......

Another large portrait.  Again starting with a very complicated and layered background.  You can see all the mishmosh of colors and squiggles with just the sketch peeking thru.

The challenge for this one - in addition to being a portrait - was that there is a hand in the photo.  And you are supposed to paint the darn hand.

Well.  If you thought noses were hard to paint (which they are) you need to really stretch your imagination to think about painting a hand.  Goodness.  I almost decided to paint the rest and skip the hand.

Then I thought - what the heck!  If it is horrible I can just throw it away.  Who will know?


This is how it turned out.  The hand is not good.  It looks like sausages.  BUT I am going to go back and work on it some more.  It needs knuckles and maybe a larger palm.

Do you think that I am brave for posting this photo when I am not satisfied with the end result?  It feels very brave.

I do think the face turned out pretty good.  I am getting braver about shading.

And look at how amazing that wacky background makes the finished painting look.  It really does add a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment